Equity: GoalWorks ensures equal opportunity through progress monitoring
“We are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else.”
— President Barack Obama
Equity of Opportunity is a huge problem in the United States and in many countries around the world. One might expect that schools in low-income communities receive extra resources, but the reverse is often true. A Department of Education study found that 45 percent of high-poverty US schools received less state and local funding than was typical for other schools in their district.
The US government has a commitment to advance equity in education and to raise the standard of every child’s education so they are on an equal footing and to narrow the education equity gap between schools. They are seeking to improve outcomes for underserved students and ensure quality teaching in every classroom; raise standards for all students; build systems to improve instruction; and significantly improve low-performing schools.
The Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA), signed into law Dec. 10, 2015, is designed as a tool for enhancing educational excellence and equity. The laws goal is for it to be a tool for helping schools in every community become more equitable so all students get what they need to learn, grow, and succeed. This means, according to the DOE, “NCLB’s narrow definition of school success, which was based primarily on test scores in math and English language arts and graduation rates, will be replaced with a broader view, to include such things as student growth, college and career readiness, school climate, or students’ progress toward English language proficiency.”
GoalWorks is a platform committed to advancing equity in education by integrating best practice intervention strategies and helping schools meet not just the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law.
GoalWorks Drives Equity
GoalWorks is a platform for struggling learners empowering them to achieve. It brings a whole team of advocates, parents, administrators and all of their teachers together to help a child make progress on their goals. Its team approach adds equality of opportunity and accountability to the intervention process in order to ensure learning progress. It implements best practices in intervention so that all teachers, all schools and all districts can pursue excellence in education for all students.
How GoalWorks Fosters Equity:
- Helps foster educational equity by focusing on the progress of struggling learners with their individualized educational goals.
- Promotes greater use of evidence and data as a lever for advancing equity.
- Helps to ensure more transparency for parents, educators, and concerned citizens about student progress and movement towards true educational equity.
- Promotes educational excellence for all students, regardless of their race, religion, country of origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or family income, as well as monitoring how schools are meeting their responsibility to serve all students.
- Ensures the same level of teaching in every classroom; raises standards for all students; is a system to improve instruction; and significantly improves the progress of struggling students and low-performing schools.
- Helps ensure that meaningful action is taken in places where whole schools or groups of students are falling behind, and that clear and transparent information on critical measures of school quality and equity are provided to all concerned.
- Provides a platform for districts and states to monitor compliance and student progress overall rather than just looking at test scores.
- Helps schools, districts and states prove their strong commitment to developing and implementing goals and strategies to improve educational equity, transparency and student growth.
- Is a platform to implement-locally evidence-based interventions for struggling schools that are identified by government agencies.